Keren Parnell pleads guilty to manslaughter over mum’s stabbing death

The Redhead house where Gail Parnell, 73, was stabbed to death. Picture: Sam RigneyKEREN Parnell was angry that her parents were pandering to her brother and jealous that they loved him more than her when she stabbed her elderly mother, Gail Parnell, in the chest and stomach in a mobile home at Redhead in October, 2015, court documents state.

But despite pleas from her father, John Parnell, to call an ambulance to treat the badly injured 73-year-old, Keren Parnell locked the doors, hid the cordless and mobile phones and provided only a band aid and a bandage for her mother’s wounds, according to a statement of police facts, which defence barrister Peter Krisenthal said on Wednesday had not been agreed upon.

Gail Parnell, an advocate and volunteer for mental health services in the Hunter, was stabbed about 2am on October 10, 2015.

At about 6.26pm the same day, she appeared to have stopped breathing and Mr Parnell finally convinced his daughter to let him contact the emergency services.

By 6.57pm, Gail Parnell was pronounced dead.

Parnell, 37, of North Lambton, appeared in Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday from Silverwater Women’s Correctional Centre where she pleaded guilty to manslaughter over her mother’s death and a charge of detaining a person with intent to obtain an advantage and cause assault occasioning actual bodily harm in relation to her father.

A charge of murder, laid by detectives in October, 2015, was withdrawn by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions on Wednesday.

According to court documents, Parnell caused the death of her mother “in circumstances amounting to manslaughter, by wounding her mother and depriving her of medical assistance”.

The stabbing occurred after Keren Parnell’s brother arrived at his parents mobile home at ‘The Sanctuary’ on Kalaroo Road to borrow money about 2am on October 10, 2015.

Keren Parnell was angry he was there and became enraged when her father gave him $50, court documents state.

Parnell was committed for sentence on Wednesday and the matter was adjourned to Newcastle District Court on February 23.